Haxed Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: SUMO IS MOVING. FULL DETAILS  (Read 13789 times)

Simon

• To my mistress the bridge, I don't feel well
    • View Profile
SUMO IS MOVING. FULL DETAILS
« on: September 25, 2010, 06:11:39 pm »

Sunday Morning Q and A with Mr. Sumo.

We’re so so fucking excited about all the good stuff we’ve got to throw at you in New Sumo. But we know you have alot of questions that need answering. So before we get into the really good stuff that we’ll drip feed you in the next 10 days… here’s a big fat blog to sink your teeth into.

1.       OLD SUMO – NEW SUMO

Ah the old days. I used to be quite infamous for wearing my big fat Sumo heart on my sleeve, probably being too honest in keyboard rants on Haxed and Myspace, giving my boss panic attacks by telling everyone to get Sumo tattoos, and almost being arrested for trying to break open a fire hydrant to fill up a swimming pool outside on the pavement…

I started Sumo in a 300 capacity room under Boro train station in August 2005 with Jamie Wilko, Afro Si, X Ray Bex, Pop, Gary Bell and Danielle from The Velterelles on rollerskates.

Things peaked for us about 2 years ago, we had 2000 people who loved us more than life itself, and probably 3000 people that hated our guts. These were good times. We spent the following 2 years taking  a barrage shit head on. We had to put up with the police making us ID every single person that came in, even 26yr old regulars, broke our hearts to turn you away, it was madness. We fought off 1 or 2 pretenders to the throne. And we’ve kept the venue open and had some good times until now. But something wasn’t quite right recently… something was slipping… Instead of getting high fives in the corridor, i was getting questions, complaints, unhappy faces… something had to change.

So, It feels like a good time for a chat.

We’ve learned alot, the team and I, in 5 years - not just in Sumo Boro Land either… Something’s have worked out well for us. Bad Medicine, Metropolis, Kaboom,  we helped a little in bringing Uncle Alberts into the world. All these are good.  Somethings haven’t worked. Chop Chop. Sumo Durham. Whatever.

What i’m saying is, trust me.

I’m a little older, a little wiser, and whats happening this weekend is the result of 6 months of careful thought, opinion gathering, planning and in the end… well, we pretty much HAD to go.

2.       WHY EMPIRE?

New management came in two years ago, spent tens of thousands of pounds refurbishing the place. It’s clean and everything works. Lights, lasers, monster soundsystems, blah blah blah.

It’s got the labyrinth-like feel that Sumo needs, tonnes of stairs, rooms, nooks and crannys to get lost in. The management, the bar staff and the security team are dead excited for Sumo, they “get” what we do and are 100% committed to keeping it safe and 100% alternative.

I saw all these bands in Empire in the past 10 months. Dragonforce, Saxon, Anvil, Gallows, Enter Shikari, Bowling For Soup, Misery Signals and pretty much every local rock/metal/punk band has played there for a Redfest. That’s a rock and roll venue, end of story.

3.       DRINKS?

Do. Not. Panic.

A clubnight is what a promoter takes into a venue.

Example. “Bad Medicine” is at “Spenseleys” on a “Wednesday”. If you went to Spenseleys on a Saturday… its very different!

So you will be going to “Sumo”. On a Friday.

Bottles £1.80 Becks / Vk / Fosters / Carling  [thats actually cheaper than old sumo - ha!], Sourz £1 [same, ding], Jagerbomb £2 [ding], Red Stripe £2 [ding], Flaming Sambuca’s £1 [mind those eyebrows].

Cocktail of The Week will be £3 for you fans of Skittles and Long islands etc. Plus we’ve got some new stuff like Diesel Power [£2.50, gets you going] and The Black Sabbath [black aftershock, vodka and something or other, sounds revolting].

4.       BUT I WENT TO THE EMPIRE ON SATURDAY AND IT WAS…

You might not like Saturdays in there, i like em, my mates like em, you might not.

You’re not going on a Saturday, you’re going Friday, to Sumo.

Fridays and Saturdays in The Empire will be very very different experiences. We’ll see to that, because we run both.

5.       WHY NO SUMO THIS FRIDAY, 1ST OCT?

We don’t need the extra week, but we know that giving ourselves that little bit extra time will ensure the venue looks amazing and we give you the best possible night we can on Friday 8th of October. I know you’ll be pleasantly surprised when you get there.

6.       ROCK IN THE BIG ROOM YEAH?

Of course. Rock is number 1 priority. We’ll do Indie/Pop/Allsorts on the 1st floor, there’s a dead good cocktail lounge for chilling in [where Peters ipod has everything from Deftone to Prince on it. Nice.]

We’ll be opening “room 3” and “room 4” over the next couple months. Suggestions welcome. Dedicated metal room? Dubstep? Kareoke Room?  Who knows!

So….

Thanks for reading this. Please remember to fuck the haters. And we’ll see you on the 8th.

Sumo x

[If you have any direct questions or you want a job email sumo@tenfeettall.co.uk ]
« Last Edit: September 26, 2010, 12:13:20 pm by [Simon] »

wrong

Re: SUMO IS MOVING.
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2010, 09:13:52 pm »

whats the real reason for the move like? there cant be many other venues for it to go to can there? empire?

Simon

• View Profile
Re: SUMO IS MOVING. FULL DETAILS
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2010, 12:14:38 pm »

Full details in the first post!

Due to the overbearing verbosity of the textual content in question combined with my small brainpower, limited vocabulary and failing to take my adhd medication this morning, I have failed to absorb the meaning of or even bother to attempt to comprehend your long-winded prose. - Sumo, Empire, better drinks prices, better venue. Launches Friday 8th of October!

the g la

• goughla iz rite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2010, 01:59:43 pm »

Well done on the drinks prices like as I'd seen a few moans on Facebook about that.
Good luck with it TFT

wrong

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2010, 04:38:28 pm »

is there enough grubby 18 year old moshers in teesside to fill the main room of the empire every week?
« Last Edit: September 26, 2010, 04:41:49 pm by wrong »

Lewis

• Good Hustle, Hit The Showers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2010, 10:13:54 am »

You've gotta question it. The last few times I've been to Sumo it's been pretty dead, I guess that's been one of the factors in the decision to shake it up a little. We'll have to see, I'll certainly be giving it a whirl.

Plus, The Hitchers are playing a homecoming gig at Sumo on 12 November, this'll be much better at the Empire.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2010, 10:25:10 am by Lewis »

Simon

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2010, 07:48:58 pm »

I think it's been mostly the venue being so dirty & crammed that's lead to a lot of people not enjoying the night and ultimately not coming any more. Time will tell if this is lunacy or genius

Kingers

• 1918 - 2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2010, 09:23:57 pm »

it's genius. I think you've played a blinder. Very good post at the top too, bravo. You deffo need a proper dedicated metal room somewhere like.

Simon

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2010, 11:04:31 pm »

Only problem I see with a metal room is the people who'll come out bitching about how it's not "real" metal, regardless of what you play

Kingers

• 1918 - 2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2010, 12:20:10 am »

Ofcourse they will! I was going to write something like that in my post along the lines of "you deffo need a proper dedicated metal room somewhere like for arseholes who don't like the alleged "mainstream" stuff you play downstairs."

BUT you're always going to get that. One of the beauties of liking metal, real metal, whatever metal, is that you have the right, the real right, the whatever right, to turn your nose up at all other forms of music apart from what is in your very own record collection. Infact they actually enjoy doing it. Even if your room does get people bitching about it not being "real" enough, these people will still pack it out in their droves just to make sure the records you're playing aren't as good as the records they already have. Plus if girls dance to it they won't give two shits anyway.

If people still complain tell them to fuck off and start their own night.

Lewis

• Good Hustle, Hit The Showers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2010, 07:58:34 am »

A Dammit room on the top floor!

-Luke-

• Mo Bro
  • Moderator Team
  • Challenge declined!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2010, 05:26:28 pm »

Ofcourse they will! I was going to write something like that in my post along the lines of "you deffo need a proper dedicated metal room somewhere like for arseholes who don't like the alleged "mainstream" stuff you play downstairs."

BUT you're always going to get that. One of the beauties of liking metal, real metal, whatever metal, is that you have the right, the real right, the whatever right, to turn your nose up at all other forms of music apart from what is in your very own record collection. Infact they actually enjoy doing it. Even if your room does get people bitching about it not being "real" enough, these people will still pack it out in their droves just to make sure the records you're playing aren't as good as the records they already have. Plus if girls dance to it they won't give two shits anyway.

If people still complain tell them to fuck off and start their own night.

Haha! This post has it spot on.

Simon

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2010, 10:37:01 am »

We're almost ready to go! Prepare yourselves, the new era begins tomorrow!

Amy Wykehouse

• They told me to go to reeeehab
  • Get Innocuous
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2010, 04:38:56 pm »

It needed a shake up, I got bored of it in the cornerhouse over a year ago but couldn't put my finger on why. It wasn't because I dislike the night because to be frank, I love it and I love the fact I can always go in and stumble across friends. It just needed a 'refresh'. Good luck!
I heard you have a compilation of every good song ever done by anybody. Every great song by the Beach Boys. All the underground hits. All the Modern Lovers tracks. I heard you have a vinyl of every Niagra record on German import. I heard that you have a white label of every seminal Detroit techno hit - 1985, '86, '87. I heard that you have a CD compilation of every good '60s cut and another box set from the '70s.

Simon

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2010, 07:17:29 pm »

Well I had a bloody excellent night, how did everyone else like it?
So far the views I've seen have been everyone loving it, apart from a few people that thought it was too busy and deemed the whole night shit because they had to wait a wee bit for a drink
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up