Haxed Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Suggestions For Metal Amp Heads  (Read 6196 times)

firecaste

• View Profile
Suggestions For Metal Amp Heads
« on: July 03, 2010, 09:37:27 pm »

Hey guys

Would love to hear your opinions on this, bands looking at new gear and we really need to upgrade to guitar heads and 2x12s.

Band plays alternative metal and im looking for portability however were after valve power and a decent heavy modern distortion built directly into the amp.
Been looking at things like the Orange Dual Terror however from what ive seen it cant get heavy enough and sounds a little too classic.

If anyone can suggest a head on a budget of about 500-800 that can be bought new from a music shop (were looking at a finannce deal to buy the head and cab) that would be ace.

Cheers :)

Jase Cameron

• I spent more time looking for Maddy this Wendyhouse then her parents
  • MEDIBOT.
    • View Profile
    • Myspace!
Re: Suggestions For Metal Amp Heads
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2010, 12:36:51 am »

Can't really go wrong with a Marshall.

Simon

• To my mistress the bridge, I don't feel well
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2010, 05:25:29 am »

You can't go wrong with a Peavey Valveking for around £449 (after a massive price hike? what the fuck?!), all tube, plenty of gain, sounds like a babe! http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/68967

Then you've got ENGL, such as this: http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/76320 which are beautiful for the higher end of your budget

and then for around £600 you've got a Laney GH50L (or there's a 100 watt one for more, but 100 watts of tube power is unnecessary IMO) http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/gh-50l-with-el34s/374

Morkholio

• Moderator Team
  • FIRE!
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2010, 10:09:56 am »

I love Marshall amps but they're no good for Metal.  If you've ever seen someone using one for it I can 99% guarantee you it'll of been hotrodded, had the tubes swapped for something hotter and/or have a pedal infront of it pushing it into OD.

Just about any Peavey will sort you right out, cant be arsed to look myself right now I've had 5 hours sleep.

P.A Rich

• Shadwell Army !
    • View Profile
    • Landscape Studios - Not Shite Recording n that
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2010, 04:50:02 pm »

Id go with a valveking if your on a bit of a budget, but get a decent cab with V30s in or something, the orange cabs and 1960's marshall are fantastic.

If you can find one, get a 5150 or 6505, the gain is leg snappingly awesome.

everything else that's good is well out of your price range really.

Nick.nick

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2010, 05:38:41 pm »

I know you said that you were looking at heads/cabs but try this little piece of kit.

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/72815

brand new way out of your price range as Rich says however I would consider doing you a deal on mine.

I bought mine brand new, August 2008 from what was sound control.

I'd need enough to get a new amp too so i'd be looking at 900 to be honest. if you haven't heard one of these get to Bandland if you can and you will be amazed at what you can achieve from such a small amp.

I REALLY dont want to sell this amp by the way but I only use the clean channel at home on the 5w setting so its wasted with me.

firecaste

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2010, 12:32:17 am »

Cheers lads will defo have a look at them.

Thanks for the offer of the combo niick but were on combos at the moment and are looking to go onto somthing a little bigger for the power and the stage presence, so were looking at heads with 2x12's.

Simon have you seen any metal clips of those laney amps you mentioned?, havent heard them yet and would like to.

Search goes on but we will get there :)

Alex Eruptor

• I'm Penguin Fodder!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2010, 11:35:10 am »

were looking at heads with 2x12's.

Woah, I thought you said METAL band? Nothing less than walls of 4x12 marshall cabs will do!  You need at least 8 speakers per guitar player, preferably more. Watch any Manowar video to get the idea.

Simon

• To my mistress the bridge, I don't feel well
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2010, 06:48:23 pm »

Simon have you seen any metal clips of those laney amps you mentioned?, havent heard them yet and would like to.
The only clips I've heard are the first two full length albums from Architects, both guitarists used to have them, but as for soundclips of them on their own, best off trying the old youtube
Pages: [1]   Go Up