Haxed Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Local Bands  (Read 8777 times)

Busta

• I'm Penguin Fodder!
    • View Profile
Re:Local Bands
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2007, 05:33:41 am »

Simply look at the crowd on saturday compared to past years, i obviously aint the only one sick of seeing the same every year and its ruining it for the new bands that have played this year.
I didnt say that there was no new bands, just that the line up was mostly filled with the usual bands that aint going anywhere other than yet again Ku Bar etc... then next years Fringe or MML, if that is the big time to you then good luck,lol. You will have to take my word for it im afraid but honestly there are more places to play in the area

Kingers

• 1918 - 2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2007, 08:14:01 am »

Simply look at the crowd on saturday compared to past years, i obviously aint the only one sick of seeing the same every year and its ruining it for the new bands that have played this year.
I didnt say that there was no new bands, just that the line up was mostly filled with the usual bands that aint going anywhere other than yet again Ku Bar etc... then next years Fringe or MML, if that is the big time to you then good luck,lol. You will have to take my word for it im afraid but honestly there are more places to play in the area

Don't think i'm having a go as i kinda agree with you but because we played yesterday i can't help but feeling that you're referring to my band so i'll just defend my corner a bit.

Yes we've played Kubar about four times since our first gig last May (playing again on August 31st supporting Komakino if you want to come down!!! oh the irony!) but we only play as we're asked. As long as we're free and the band we're supporting is pretty good then we'll do it - we don't go round begging for local gigs. Infact, we try to not play in Teesside as much as we can to not get tagged with the "local band" label.

This year was the first time we've played at either MML or the Fringe and being a local lad i'm totally chuffed to have done it. It's not the pinnacle of our ambition (that's midday at the Carling Tent at Leeds Fest! ha ha!) but being from the area it's very nice to be asked. Not sure about your "just look at the crowd" comment as i thought the crowd on saturday last year during the day was much smaller than it was yesterday. Plus do you remember when the Fringe was in that tent at Trinity Gardens or even when it was outside over there - seemed alot quieter then too.

On friday the first three bands (Rivs, Alberts, Grandmas House) were all new to the Fringe and got all their friends and fans down the front of the stage and it was brilliant. On saturday maybe because some of the bands had played it a few times before some of that enthusiasm wasn't there. Saying that though, I thought we did alright and had a good crowd. Maybe that was due to Frank Sidebottom dancing at the side of the stage.

But what's the solution? If you don't want "local bands" then who do you get? Do you put bands like Captain Phoenix on from London to play at primetime to NO ONE? I'm honestly interested to know which bands you'd prefer to see. Personally I'd have loved to have saw some proper metal on the fringe stage - if your post had been titled "why are there so many indie bands at the festival" i would have been 100% behind you.

I think i know the point you're getting at and i sort of agree with you so don't think i'm getting at you at all, just due to the fact that we played yesterday i thought i'd put my tuppeneth in.

frenris

• I'm Penguin Fodder!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2007, 09:52:37 am »

maybe i dont get out as much as i should, but there were plenty of  local bands i have never got round to seeing. plus its also nice to see bands i do like play in the festival.  
i like the fact that this years stayed quite local with most of the acts for me MML is the chance to see a variety of up and coming bands form across the country.

Busta

• I'm Penguin Fodder!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2007, 06:16:02 pm »

Don't think i'm having a go as i kinda agree with you but because we played yesterday i can't help but feeling that you're referring to my band so i'll just defend my corner a bit.

Yes we've played Kubar about four times since our first gig last May (playing again on August 31st supporting Komakino if you want to come down!!! oh the irony!) but we only play as we're asked. As long as we're free and the band we're supporting is pretty good then we'll do it - we don't go round begging for local gigs. Infact, we try to not play in Teesside as much as we can to not get tagged with the "local band" label.

This year was the first time we've played at either MML or the Fringe and being a local lad i'm totally chuffed to have done it. It's not the pinnacle of our ambition (that's midday at the Carling Tent at Leeds Fest! ha ha!) but being from the area it's very nice to be asked. Not sure about your "just look at the crowd" comment as i thought the crowd on saturday last year during the day was much smaller than it was yesterday. Plus do you remember when the Fringe was in that tent at Trinity Gardens or even when it was outside over there - seemed alot quieter then too.

On friday the first three bands (Rivs, Alberts, Grandmas House) were all new to the Fringe and got all their friends and fans down the front of the stage and it was brilliant. On saturday maybe because some of the bands had played it a few times before some of that enthusiasm wasn't there. Saying that though, I thought we did alright and had a good crowd. Maybe that was due to Frank Sidebottom dancing at the side of the stage.

But what's the solution? If you don't want "local bands" then who do you get? Do you put bands like Captain Phoenix on from London to play at primetime to NO ONE? I'm honestly interested to know which bands you'd prefer to see. Personally I'd have loved to have saw some proper metal on the fringe stage - if your post had been titled "why are there so many indie bands at the festival" i would have been 100% behind you.

I think i know the point you're getting at and i sort of agree with you so don't think i'm getting at you at all, just due to the fact that we played yesterday i thought i'd put my tuppeneth in.

I wasnt having a go at any of the bands, although i can see how it would look like i am so im sorry, im not saying that people didnt enjoy the music that was on and i think that there is some good quality bands playing both MML & Fringe.

To be honest i had popped up into the town to meet some friends and came back as you were finishing your set so i couldnt comment either way on your band, although what i did see people looked like they had been enjoying it.

I do want to see local bands as i think there is often a better atmosphere for the more local bands and created by them as i imagine you would always want to play well for the home crowd, and i do agree with you that i wouldve liked to see more rock but it can sometimes get a bit hard to play a lot of rock and keep the family atmosphere.

I really dont have any preferences on any other bands and im not just saying this because im in a band and am bitter for not getting to play, im about as musicaly talented as a door handle, just would like to see more new names on the line up
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up