Haxed Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: What about CCTV?  (Read 2966 times)

pacmunchkin

• Pretty Fly for a very very white guy
    • View Profile
    • WWW.PHILIPCOOTE.CO.UK
What about CCTV?
« on: May 15, 2007, 01:50:35 pm »

A piece a few of us did for our (Re)Presenting the body module.

Based on Foucault's theories of the panopticon and power structures.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1zibi_what-about-cctv0001

Katesbush

• Forum Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Joel Young Producer
Re:What about CCTV?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2007, 02:21:17 pm »

Thats class. I like that. My girlfriend did a load of art-video's for her art this year. I think it can be a really effective format if you use it well!

Emily

• post whore in training
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2007, 05:00:35 pm »

Hah, You daft twats. As if you didn't get beaten for it :P

pacmunchkin

• View Profile
    • WWW.PHILIPCOOTE.CO.UK
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2007, 10:40:58 pm »

My girlfriend did a load of art-video's for her art this year. I think it can be a really effective format if you use it well!

Wanna share?

Katesbush

• Forum Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Joel Young Producer
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2007, 12:03:43 am »

definitely, i'll have a word with her about putting them on the internet, might have to wait a bit as its still being examined, but i was really impressed with one piece especially. I star in another, dear me.

the kitch-en

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2007, 02:20:02 pm »

Nice idea, I wonder if you'd get different reactions in different parts of the country. People in London are always too scared to say anything, I once did a film piece and I was walking around with a white mask on so you couldn't see any of my face, and I was just sat staring at people, no1 bats an eyelid tho in London.
The whole CCTV thing tho is really interesting, cos we're all watched anyway so why should it bother you just cos someone has ahand held video camera?

danthefucnkawjtafhkg

• urm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2007, 10:27:55 pm »

The whole CCTV thing tho is really interesting, cos we're all watched anyway so why should it bother you just cos someone has ahand held video camera?

I'd have thought the answer to that was pretty obvious.

pacmunchkin

• View Profile
    • WWW.PHILIPCOOTE.CO.UK
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2007, 11:11:00 am »

I'd have thought the answer to that was pretty obvious.

and the answer is?

Nick

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2007, 02:30:32 pm »

With CCTV they are probably only watched if there is something to investigate.

With this it could be some creepy man filming you who could then put it on the internet...

Thomas

• BRIEFCASE WANKER
  • Mac fanboy and proud.
    • View Profile
    • Photo-Tom
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2007, 10:27:39 pm »

Yeah, im not really a fan of this.

i did a bit of work based on cctv in college myself but the idea of some one just filming people on a train just makes me annoyed.

its as though it is trying so much to provoke a reaction that it looses all sence of meaning. yes it makes me uncomfortable and that may be what you wanted, for me it just doesnt work.

CCTV is something that people argue about daily. for me its an easy answer, id much rather be watched by the police/security walking down a dark street than not.

ive watched it a few times now, and i bet those people on the tube would be quite upset by whats happened, and i bet none were made aware of the meaning of the film or signed release forms.

Art is subjective, thats my point of view.
Need a new signature

Gavin [FAC1983]

• View Profile
    • Myspaz
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2007, 01:18:24 pm »

Interesting, but in no way whatsoever is that CCTV.

"Peter, you've lost the news!"

danthefucnkawjtafhkg

• urm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2007, 01:43:32 pm »

and the answer is?

It's all about intent, what is the intent of CCTV?  In most cases to record and monitor for crime and protection of property, not pointing at individual people as that's against the law.  People know this so it doesn't bother them unless they're a paranoid technophobe with ideas of some sort of evil orwellian scheme that the government is cooking up.

And then on the other guy there's some guy for who knows what reason pointing a camera directly at you.  Why is he pointing a camera at me?  what's he going to use the tape for? etc etc.

Did I really have to explain it.

Thomas

• BRIEFCASE WANKER
  • Mac fanboy and proud.
    • View Profile
    • Photo-Tom
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2007, 02:33:30 pm »

and the answer is?

It's all about intent, what is the intent of CCTV?  In most cases to record and monitor for crime and protection of property, not pointing at individual people as that's against the law.  People know this so it doesn't bother them unless they're a paranoid technophobe with ideas of some sort of evil orwellian scheme that the government is cooking up.

And then on the other guy there's some guy for who knows what reason pointing a camera directly at you.  Why is he pointing a camera at me?  what's he going to use the tape for? etc etc.

if thats the case then surely it has nothing to do with CCTV?

i see no similarities other than the media used.

if the work is based panopticon which basically is surveillence then what has pointing a camera in someones face have to do with that? Panoopticon was an idea for prison monitoring, the people on the train arent all convicts surely?

sure the idea of being observed is the same but the gun hath been jumped, moving directly from one method of monitoring to something that is completely different.
Need a new signature

Nick

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2007, 08:23:05 pm »

and the answer is?

Spot on.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2007, 08:23:19 pm by Nick »

Alick

« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2007, 08:34:51 pm »

yeah exactly. if someone pointed a camera at me i'd love to batter them but i'd be afraid all they have to do is take me to court showing the footage, i wouldn't approach them to tell them to shut it off because i'd be thinking him and his mates would be laughing at the footage when they got home, but it would really piss me off and i bet it pissed them off, as well as making them self-conscious and intimidated
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up