Haxed Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tab Clear and Bicarbonate of Soda.  (Read 6404 times)

mongo

• View Profile
Tab Clear and Bicarbonate of Soda.
« on: July 22, 2005, 02:59:03 pm »

Basically the Needle-Damage brand, as it was, was 50% mine and 50% Edzy's. With the untimely closure of the Arena we were left a bit loose, but with some very loyal support have managed to keep things going at different venues. To be fair the drinks prices and other aspects of the Purple Onion meant it couldnt stay there for any length of time.

Personally I lost a lot of money when the Arena shut and was contemplating accepting a personal job offer at Poptones in London when approached by Luminar Leisure and we done a deal which meant I could be sure that at the end of the week i'd have at least X amount of money in the bank. Now its alright 'carrying on the torch' with the Purple Onion, but at the end of the day money has got to add up properly. Let me say there is not a better feeling in the world than doing a job you love and having the freedom to do it full time and with a lot of money to have a LOT of fun with.

I set up Needle-Damage with my good friend Tiff 3 years ago as somewhere for my mates to go, seeing as Blaises closed. 3 years on, some of them can't afford to attend or enjoy it fully as it costs them 3.10 for a bottle of Becks. This is supposed to be a night where a group of like-minded people go to fuck off the mainstream culture that this town shits out of its arse every night of the week.

So, i'm sat on this leather stool in Lava waiting for some guy in a suit to come and try and get me to be his new promotions manager. To promote 70's theme nights and other cheese on toast shit. Poptones was becoming a very fast possibility. Instead I was greeted by a very nice lad called Nigel who, it turns out, is just like you and me. "Could you produce a big indie event here in this venue, if everything was tailored to your liking?". "If the music was done by me and my lads, the drinks were made affordable, bouncers were as nice as they genuinely seem and there's no riff raff let in, then yes definately!" - i said. And so Teenage Grandad was born.

So by being employed by this company I am exclusive and obviously cannot do any other external work, i.e. Needle-Damage. With me not being able to fulfil my 50% to it then Needle-Damage would have to cease to exist when I started for them, this Monday, meaning last night would be the last Needle-Damage ever.

This obviously left me in a situation where I had a collegue and good friend, Edzy, without this night of ours. I'll not go into personal detail of how much shit i've got into since the Arena closed - but I had to make a choice from 3 options: a) get a 9 to 5 job here and live happily ever after, b) move to London and do be Alan McGee's slave (thats a good thing, honest!) or c) accept the job with Luminar and stay up in Middlesbrough where my girlfriend, family and many many good friends are... and do something that I love doing.

Now with Teenage Grandad we're putting together a night which will be the end result of a lot of work, experience and lessons well learned. I guarantee now that Thursdays setlist will be the best setlist that has ever been heard in a Middlesbrough nightclub, you won't be overcharged for drinks and that you'll be safe, sound and enjoy the night to the full.

As for Needle-Damage, those who know me know how gutted about whats happened. Edzy was a fucking great boss, taught me a lot and treat me like a son... i'm gutted we couldnt carry on. He'll feel like i've just 'fucked off and took the night elsewhere', but it couldnt carry on as it was and it was either accept this new night or go do the office thing.

Cheers to everyone who's supported what we've done in the past, good and bad. From Inspiral Carpets' Tom Hingley threatening to break my legs on my 21st, to Kinesis and Winnebago Deal turning up at my house at 1am demanding 1000 from my stoned housemates, to Conor Thrills calling me a cunt in the NME, to the Cribs playing for 10, to fighting with 4 Chavs on Linthorpe road with Peter Doherty GCSE.

Its been a good one.

Gaz

Emmett

• bon chic bon genre
    • View Profile
    • the oxfam glamour models
Re:Tab Clear and Bicarbonate of Soda.
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2005, 03:06:42 pm »

reckon alan mcgee will let me have that job?

Danielle..

• in Arcady.........
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2005, 03:09:27 pm »

one word comes to mind there. Loyal.

Good on yer Gary, when people turn around and say that Middlesbrough is a shithole blah blah blah, this proves them wrong.  The last year and a bit of needle dmage for me will be treasured forever, some fucking amazing nights and not to mention all of the genuinly true nice friends i've met.  i'll miss you all!  :-*

But i will come back to see everyone, and enjoy a bit of your teenage grandad  ;). Life goes on.

;D
The dust on my tambourine, really can be explained...I need to shake it more often.

http://www.myspace.com/madametrevor

mongo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2005, 03:38:53 pm »

As Edzy rightfully said in the other though, it was 50/50 straight down the middle, but obviously people saw me at the dj box while he was in the office. For every decent song I played, he was pulling strings to keep Arena drinks prices low.

Its a shame as i really don't wanna come across as a money hungry bitter bastard, I just wanna continue doing what I like doing - as a promoter and dj/glorified cd changer.

Merry Koala #1

• Moderator Team
  • I saw you crying at the discotheque
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2005, 04:02:44 pm »

You'll always be the man that brought Hasselh0ff to the masses Gaz  :-*

angilina*ballerina

• i was bored before i even began.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2005, 05:05:11 pm »

aww gaz, that almost made me teary :)
We are HERE for your entertainment//Take us as you like//We are YOURS for your delectation//Eat to your delight//We are NOW for your inspiration//Soundtrack to the times//We are YOUNG for your desecration//Destroy what you find

Princess Kaytie-leigh

• i loves the stump!!!
    • View Profile
    • myspack
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2005, 06:10:50 pm »

no one can stop you doing what you love, and quite frankly, what you're good at.

to just stop and give up when it got a bit shit would have been daft. you stuck with it all and made it a fucking brilliant time.

it wouldn't have been what it was without either you or edzy doing that thing you do, as it were.

im glad its all carrying on. everything could have just ground to a halt after the arena shut. but you found a couple of temporary venues til something more permanent came up. and to those of us who dont much like the crown on a thursday/friday, or cant afford to get to stockton/redcar for other nights, you are a top bloke. as is edzy for all the nights we wouldnt have had with no arena.

kaytie-leigh

:mikeisahomo
« Last Edit: July 22, 2005, 06:12:52 pm by mong »

Missthetaste

• View Profile
    • Yes, unfortunately I have one of these
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2005, 07:23:18 pm »

kamara

• Touching From A Distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2005, 07:26:27 pm »

fags

now season with health
two lovers walk a lakeside mile
try pleasing with stealth
Brody oh she stands long ending fell
oh how I love you
in the evenings when we are sleeping
we are sleeping
oh we are sleeping
It's so me
we make time
we try and find somebody else
who has a line

Missthetaste

• View Profile
    • Yes, unfortunately I have one of these
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2005, 07:33:54 pm »

fags

I'm no fag  :P your just obviously not in touch with your 'feminine side'.

You know your really sat there reading that speech with 'She's like the wind' on from Dirty Dancing.  

kamara

• Touching From A Distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2005, 07:52:05 pm »

who told you

now season with health
two lovers walk a lakeside mile
try pleasing with stealth
Brody oh she stands long ending fell
oh how I love you
in the evenings when we are sleeping
we are sleeping
oh we are sleeping
It's so me
we make time
we try and find somebody else
who has a line

Emmett

• bon chic bon genre
    • View Profile
    • the oxfam glamour models
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2005, 12:13:45 pm »

fags

You know your really sat there reading that speech with 'She's like the wind' on from Dirty Dancing.  

haha as if she must be spying on you ewan!

jimmy-jukebox

• Club Moderator
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
    • www.myspace.com/jimmyjukebox
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2005, 01:54:26 pm »

fuk me gaz how long did that take yer to write,

hope it all goes well kiddo

ps you forgot to mention all my dj wages haha

Doctor Robert.

• Whats next? Mead on tap?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2005, 05:09:07 pm »

long live in the memory ND

R.I.P :'(

Sugar-Sweet

• ..bang bang you're dead...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2005, 04:45:45 pm »

i'll miss needle damage.... the good.... the bad.... the friends i've made.... the way i didn't wanna go out but it always made me.... the mess my home got into.... the drama.... thank you to both gaz and edzy and the other dj's for making that all possible  :mikeisahomo
« Last Edit: July 24, 2005, 04:47:01 pm by Sugar-Sweet »
Your day breaks, Your mind aches, You find that all her words of kindness linger on when she no longer needs you
Pages: [1]   Go Up