Haxed Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Important Re: The Middlesbrough Arena :: Letting Go.  (Read 41765 times)

Laura ~ WideXEyes

• BAZINGA!
    • View Profile
Re:Important Re: The Middlesbrough Arena :: Letting Go.
« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2005, 10:20:36 am »

SparkĄ

• [-{ My Karma ran over your dogma. }-]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 28, 2005, 11:36:37 am »

i think haxed should supply a number of "hangbag slaps" to members who argue over pittiful things lol  :philssuptidity
... but even through your doubts, we will still be here...

Man feelings

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 28, 2005, 11:36:59 am »

its better than FYR.

:laugh I think something just burst inside me.

The walkabout has nice sofas.
Super Monkey Ball makes me cry.

-Pete

• ...but it hasn't happened yet
    • View Profile
    • moispace
« Reply #33 on: June 28, 2005, 11:48:44 am »

ah man, this sucks!  

best nights i've had have been at the arena :(

Ripper

• Hardcore Till I Die
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 28, 2005, 12:01:36 pm »

Yes, it is a damn shame, i've a lot of memories from that place, and they'll never be forgotton.
Computer games don't affect kids. I mean, if Pac-Man affected us as kids,we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music.

Jennifer

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 28, 2005, 12:11:12 pm »

Its a shame, seems like a fair few of you will miss it.
I've not been for quite a while as its not really my thing, much prefered it back in the late 90's
Hopefully NN and ND will find somewhere else as venues
Kids, Drugs won't help things. They'll only turn you into a hideous little freak troll-baby with exploding eyeballs.
Heed this advice!!

Tempest

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 28, 2005, 12:11:56 pm »

its better than FYR.

is it really? why? i'm genuinely intrigued to the allure of the place seeing as every time i've been (here or whilst at uni) there was always fights and the music was shite.

« Last Edit: June 28, 2005, 12:14:04 pm by Kickasskandy »

kevin

• Moderator Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 28, 2005, 12:22:29 pm »

oh well!!

georgian it is.

Risen_anger

« Reply #38 on: June 28, 2005, 12:33:43 pm »

its better than FYR.

is it really? why? i'm genuinely intrigued to the allure of the place seeing as every time i've been (here or whilst at uni) there was always fights and the music was shite.

I thought WalkAbout was gonna be shit last Friday, but was actually surprised at how good it was. Requests were played a matter of minutes after we made them, and the general atmosphere was class.

Can't compare it to FYR though, because I haven't been to one of the gigs yet. Alhough tomorrow night may be a first.

Oh, and the Arena is responsible for me meeting most of my brilliant friends, so it's sad it's closing, but I think going every week was more out of habit rather than because it was so good.

Tempest

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 28, 2005, 12:51:34 pm »

its better than FYR.

Can't compare it to FYR though, because I haven't been to one of the gigs yet. Alhough tomorrow night may be a first.

oh you're coming down tomorrow night? ace! Will you be up for face painting?

Risen_anger

« Reply #40 on: June 28, 2005, 12:59:36 pm »

Haha, it may well be necessary.

At the moment my glands are all swollen, so it depends on whether my face still looks like I'm the Nutty Professor or not :nosmile

Doctor says I have to stay in until the swelling's gone.

« Last Edit: June 29, 2005, 04:47:24 pm by Tee »

BGF

« Reply #41 on: June 28, 2005, 05:02:13 pm »

nads

kevBITC

• Sumo Warrior #2
    • View Profile
    • NSR
« Reply #42 on: June 28, 2005, 05:14:30 pm »

I just got that haxed mailout and have to say Im quite gutted!

My memories of The Arena go back a lot further than No-noise and Needle Damage and was a big part of my drunken life in the late 90's. I have so many crazy memories (and many blurry flashes)! of nights spent being 'that guy out Helter Skelter who is always drunk'. I fell in love there, I broke up there and probably all the other things in between!!
I started going to the Arena about 9 years ago when Friday nights was THE big Indie / Rock night because every other night club was dance and rave shite. The place was always full and there was always really up-and-coming bands on. I remember seeing the likes of Oasis, Ocean Colour Scene, Placebo, Kula Shaker, Kerbdog, Skunk Anansie, Silver Sun, Third Eye Blind, Symposium, Asian Dub Foundation, the list goes on. Many of them werent my thing, but you could guarantee within 6 months they would be TFI Friday(remember that!!) or something similar.

I also have really great memories of playing gigs at the Arena as Helter Skelter, doing showcase gigs hosted by Steve Lamacq, playing Bede College Xmas party's, supporting bands like Kerbdog and also headline shows. There was always a big crowd for us and we had people crowd surfing and stage diving. It was Tthe big gig to play unlike any other local gig at the time.

There was so many good night, there was the all you can drink nights on a Monday which was just carnage, and more recently Needle Damage and No-Noise.

Its such a shame!!

So anyway, thanks Edzy it been fun!!

SerpentsDesire

• Don't mock the monkey!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 28, 2005, 07:21:02 pm »

Damn shame, gonna miss the place. Been away from boro for a few years now but whenever i come up visiting the arena n seein old friends was always one of the highlights.

Sorely missed  :-[
a stranger is someone you haven't learned to hate yet...

Lippy

• Mr Indie
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 28, 2005, 07:42:28 pm »

The place was always full and there was always really up-and-coming bands on. I remember seeing the likes of Oasis, Ocean Colour Scene, Placebo, Kula Shaker, Kerbdog, Skunk Anansie, Silver Sun, Third Eye Blind, Symposium, Asian Dub Foundation, the list goes on.

Seconded.  I first went to the Arena in 1993 to see the Senseless Things.  I started going to the indie nights in May 1994 when my mate at college said we should go there and we went for ages after that.   At one point in the late 90s I went every week uninterrupted for 18 months.  I got countless songs about unrequited love inspired by girls that actually went there and I met Amy there in 1996 at the My Life Story gig.   I could go on for ages but I won't - first place I ever DJ'd as well and the place where I first met a lot of people that I know now.   I hadn't been for ages anyway but the upstairs corner near the speakers was my corner for a number of years  ;D

I'm sure it will rise again in some other format and if it doesn't there's other venue and nights.  In the 90s there wasn't really any venues in Boro for indie other than Cactus or whatever it got called.
If you hear a new band that you hate please tell me as I probably will like them :)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up