Haxed Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Important Re: The Middlesbrough Arena :: Letting Go.  (Read 41767 times)

Burnsey

• View Profile
    • Myspace
Important Re: The Middlesbrough Arena :: Letting Go.
« on: June 27, 2005, 09:32:46 pm »

Sticky please.

Got this today from Uncle Edzy. Your ex-favourite club owner.

It’s been nearly 9 years to the day that I bought The Middlesbrough Arena, a nearly Holy place for me, a place which I always considered to be my spiritual Deejay home, the place where I served my apprenticeship & learned how to promote music shows, an apprenticeship: taught by a small handful of people whose tricks I still use today.

The Arena has had its ups and downs since the keys to the front door became mine, there have been some amazing shows/nights/blow-outs but the sad thing for me is that people care only to remember the relatively small amount of bad shit. Most people take great pleasure in forgetting all the positive things we’ve achieved there over the years.

You all know that I have had an un healthy amount of Police interest in the club, you’ve all seen the local press, my favourite? The one where they brought in two 16 year olds & caught us selling alcohol to them. Whilst our man was being charged inside, by the police, for the sale, the Chief of Police in Middlesbrough was outside the pub, gold braid & all, having his picture taken by the Gazette for the next day’s issue – never a more blatant set up….

The Police pressure hasn’t and won’t stop, they’ve raided The Arena 4 times since March and The Acklam 3 times, 2 of the Arena raids have happened whilst we’ve been shut! – I know that, somewhere down the line, I will personally be made to pay for these costly, non-productive raids and the damaged egos too.

The recent trouble with the fire & the fact that we couldn’t open, has done nothing but give me time and space away from The Arena to take stock of a few things, whereas the first few weeks that I had ‘off’, I spent

re-working my master plan of how to take over the world (starting at Canon Park) – I soon got to realise (actually, my wife pointed it out) that on the nights that we should have been open, but weren’t, I wasn’t sitting in a panic ridden coma, as usual, just waiting for a raid by the police, the fire officers, the council licensing, health & safety or any other body of authority who felt like having a go.

Over the last month, I’ve been getting ready to reopen, I’ve been bumbling about every day, getting a new flyer done & all the other bits that need doing, trying to re-energise the people who do or can put shows on in there, sadly, the big show that we were working towards to open for this week has been pulled, that and a few other things have made me realise that nobody, ESPECIALLY ME, has the same energy or passion to take this story any further.

Since we closed on March 13, I hate to say: I’ve been happier than I have in years, not the radged, stress-out fuck I am when the club is open. More importantly, the people around me have been happier too –

this makes a big decision for me an easy one:

I won’t be re-opening the club.

I won’t be re-opening the club because there are just too many forces now that are fighting against me & who knows when or where they’ll stop?

I can say now that my work is done at The Arena …… It’s somebody else’s turn to step up ….. somebody, please turn out the light.

p.s I’ll be helping put the new under 18’s thing together and once that is up & running, zane & burnsey will hopefully take it forward, leaving me to get on with something new.

Morkholio

• Moderator Team
  • FIRE!
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
Re:Important Re: The Middlesbrough Arena :: Letting Go.
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2005, 09:38:38 pm »

Respect.

Director Shrike

• Forum Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2005, 09:42:04 pm »

Seconded mark's respect.

It'll be missed, and Edzy too. I don't remember the arena being shit, I remember a lot of happiness there.

ARENA 4 EVA!

lorelei_chaos

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2005, 09:43:32 pm »

Tis a shame :(

But I can certainly see his point, especially about the stress.

PunkLoserKid

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2005, 09:46:29 pm »

Aye, muchos respect. One of our best gigs was in that place

Violet Magenta

• Pretty Like Drugs
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2005, 10:14:10 pm »

Yep, lots of respect to the guy. I always enjoyed it there and it's gonna be missed.

Ashe

• Why You Throw Chip?
  • Forum Administrator
  • 'This is an aaaaaaaatrageeee"
    • View Profile
    • Learn how to make £2000 a month risk free
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2005, 10:19:37 pm »

respect!

me and ste actually had the go ahead to relaunch trashed on friday nights, but after looking at how long the arena has been closed, how small the demand is for alternative nights and how out the way the arena is, decided it would be just too difficult to market and compete.

Thanks for the memories  :mikeisahomo
http://www.picturesofperfection.co.uk - middlesbrough based wedding photographer
http://www.ashleypenny.co.uk - teesside band photographer
http://www.soadorable.co.uk - stockton portrait photographer
http://www.middlesbroughweddingphotographer.co.uk
http://www.matchedbettingbasics.co.uk - risk free profit from betting offers

Spark¥

• [-{ My Karma ran over your dogma. }-]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2005, 10:20:12 pm »

Having never been to the arena more than about 5 or 6 times i have never known a group of more friendly people in my life, im sure all the other times when i havent been able to go it was a great laugh and thoes times will be missed.

I know that what ever takes it place will never been as good, but im sure we are all hoping for it to be just as good.

Arena R.I.P  :fashr0x0rs
... but even through your doubts, we will still be here...

Ashe

• Why You Throw Chip?
  • Forum Administrator
  • 'This is an aaaaaaaatrageeee"
    • View Profile
    • Learn how to make £2000 a month risk free
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2005, 10:31:27 pm »

;D
http://www.picturesofperfection.co.uk - middlesbrough based wedding photographer
http://www.ashleypenny.co.uk - teesside band photographer
http://www.soadorable.co.uk - stockton portrait photographer
http://www.middlesbroughweddingphotographer.co.uk
http://www.matchedbettingbasics.co.uk - risk free profit from betting offers

Phil One:

• View Profile
    • xanda homepage
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2005, 10:46:11 pm »

I'm absolutely gutted. Cheers anyway edzy.

:funhatscomedown
dont worry about not liking me, chances are i fucking hate you.
Have a nice day :)

weam

• Trust No One
    • View Profile
    • weampromotions
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2005, 10:48:58 pm »

Oh man thats well gutting

It's been great been able to go to the Arena on a Friday but now it's gone, it's just so bad.

RIP Arena

P.A Rich

• Shadwell Army !
    • View Profile
    • Landscape Studios - Not Shite Recording n that
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2005, 10:59:29 pm »

I only ever went to No Noise once or twice and it was ok, never went to Trashed as I wasn't living here, but I used to goto Lust all the time and had some ace nights, doubt it will return as a club or venue, but you never know..

I would love to see the council step in and turn it into the venue it should be, but then it will be ran by some bell end who knows shit all about bands...

weam

• Trust No One
    • View Profile
    • weampromotions
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2005, 11:01:11 pm »

I don't think theres much chance of anyone doing us any favours in the alternative scene, they will probably either turn it into a chav club or some kind of shop or sumit shit like that

Proper gutted

Man feelings

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2005, 11:14:53 pm »

First place I ever DJed way back when Trashed was a baby, earned my barmaiding stripes on the mentally busy Indie/ House nights, got invited back to DJ Cash Money's hotel room (my lifetime acheivement), and was looking forwards to playing there with the band.

Lot of good memories but I won't miss the dump! The people will be missed though, everyone who worked there and drunken punters alike.

Super Monkey Ball makes me cry.

ViolentUndoing

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2005, 11:26:48 pm »

Been going the Arena since '97.  Was a regular at the "£5 all the warm beer you can drink" Monday nights and Fridays.  Saw Symposium and Elastica and God knows who else there way back when.  Remember the upstairs toilet cubicle in the ladies that had no door was the best one to use because it was the cleanest and always had toilet roll and it wasn't so bad if you got a mate to *stand guard*  Met many strange and wonderful people there and danced non-stop for hours on end without a care in the world.  

What a shame.

First we wave goodbye to the Waterfront, now this.  Ashe is right though.  Times have changed, people have moved on.  And our drunken, pukey memories shall never die!!!!!!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up